Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grey's Anatomy and the plan

So we get to the surgeon's office and it's pretty late in the day and the office is fairly empty. My precious husband came with me.  He has been so awesome through this....He's a big baby when it comes to people he loves so he has shed quite a few tears, but as iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17) my faith has strengthened his.  We waited for a while in the waiting room.  A woman came out in tears, which made me sad.  But in we went and I again got to put on those hot, open to the front scrub looking things.  Someone should really rethink the design on those, but I guess they're more for purpose than fashion lol.


See what I mean!  Then the nurse put up the films....all I could think was I don't see anything....kinda like when you went for your fisrt sonogram for your first baby and the doctor is like, "See this here, that's your baby"  And you say, "Awwww"  But really you're thinking, "I don't see anything....maybe I'm not qualified for this mother thing" (flashback to the friends episode.....you know which one I am talking about) 
The surgeon came in and cleared it all up for me.  Appearently all the dense white areas are no bueno.  So in true surgeon style she explained things really fast and then said ok get dressed and we can talk and then walked out.  Kevin and I looked at each other kinda confused.  I got dressed and we poked our heads out the door....the nurse smiled and said "Just follow her".   She went over the pathology report and proceeded into explaining why a lumpectomy was not an option here.  I stopped her and proceeded to tell her what my plan was.  I watched my mom go through 2 lumpectomies before they decided to do a mastectomy.  So I had already made the decision that I just wanted to do the bi lateral masterctomy and be done with it.  Fortunantly for me, my surgeon thought that was the best plan as well.  I could just tell by her demeanor and personality that she is really good at what she does.  I couldn't help but think of my favorite TV show.....greys anatomy.  My husband proceeded to remind my favorite surgeons aren't real surgeons...lol.  So we have a plan now!
Friday May 25th - I will go in for a PET scan to make sure that cancer has not metastasised (or spread) to other parts of my body.
Wednesday May 30th - I will have my bi-lateral mastecomy as well as have spacers put in for reconstuction.  During Surgury they will biopsy the closest lymph node right in the OR, if it shows cancer they will remove more lymph nodes and possibly install a portacath for chemo. 
If you would like to join us in praying, we are beliving for no cancer anywhere else in the body.  And chemo to not be a necessity.  I am standing on Isaiah 53:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment